Focus on what is right…

I was challenged by the #principalsinaction group that I am a part of on both Voxer and Twitter to have a full day out of my office.  It was an incredible challenge that definitely kept me focused where I want to be, which is in the classrooms supporting instruction!  There was so much to celebrate, I felt I had to blog about the greatness I witnessed in classrooms that day!

1. Listening to our amazing band as they prepare for their upcoming concert.  I didn’t want to leave the music was so beautiful.

2.  Our theatre teacher engaged students how to render light.  It was hands-on and high level.  I left wishing I had been involved in theatre in high school!

3.  I enjoyed spending time with the FAA students. You simply can’t help but smile when you are in there. The students were singing, smiling, and enjoying their hands-on binders created by the teachers.  Every time I am there, my heart bursts.

4. An English teacher had her students in a high level discussion about the Great Gatsby.  There is nothing more awesome than hearing students in a high level discussion where they defend their discussion points. Hello Blooms Evaluation!

5. A math teacher had a great activity showing exponential growth and decay using skittles. Students were completely engaged and had to defend their work. Who knew Algebra 2 could be so fun!

6. In Social Studies, a teacher used something he learned at the professional learning day on Monday! Instead of just the textbook, he discovered google maps.  Using his classroom set of chrome books, students were actually looking at different types of landforms by “going there” using google maps!

7. Show choir was awesome today.  Their vocal teacher is exceptional in challenging them.   When they sing, it’s simply amazing.   There is always something impressive happening in the choir room.

8. Saw some amazing photography in photojournalism class.  We are so blessed to have a teacher with previous experience in photography and journalism.   These students had some exceptional work today.

9. The health teacher utilized our school nurse to come to his class and teach. It’s always great seeing teachers utilize resources and experts in and out of the building.

10. US History students created “Twitter profiles” around their learning of the Home-front. Students then used google docs to make comments on the profiles. It helped students to understand what people really went through.

I once heard a quote, “When we celebrate what’s right, we find the energy to fix what’s wrong” by Dewitt Jones.  As the building leader, I wanted to celebrate what is right today and every day.

Dr.  K