When was the last time you were nervous?

Every year our district hosts a district-wide professional learning day called the Andover Instructional Framework Conference.  This year we had a tremendous opportunity to hear from Jeff Charbonneau as our keynote speaker.  Jeff is the 2013 National teacher of the year and is both a teacher and an administrator.  In short, he’s the real deal.

Jeff’s message was clear.  What questions should we be asking as educators?  He discussed 12 questions, and all of them resonated with me.  But there was one in particular that really had me thinking.  

The question?

The answer to this question for me was instantaneous.  Every. Single. Day.

Mr. Charbonneau went on to say that if you aren’t nervous, then you aren’t bringing your ‘A’ game.   This reminded me of one of my favorite quotes.  “You can be comfortable or courageous, but you can’t be both.”  -Unknown

I know that I’m comfortable with risk-taking, change and failing forward but I also know that not everyone is and that’s perfectly ok as long as you aren’t digging your heels in resistant to trying anything.

People will always resort to what is easy because it is comfortable and as humans, we like comfort.  I get it, I’m comfortable NOT becoming better at running because it’s tough for me!  I’m slow as a turtle so a turtle I will stay.

However, I’m not ok with not growing as a person, educator or mother, so I push myself out of my comfort zone all the time.  Sometimes I succeed, sometimes I fail, but I always learn, more so when it’s hard.

I hope my teachers know that I support any effort they have to be nervous and uncomfortable.  I hope they know its ok to grow at different times and in different ways.  I hope they know it’s ok to take risks.  I hope they know it’s ok to fail forward.  Most of all, I hope they know I will support them every step of the way.  

Growth will never come from playing it safe.

So I ask you when was the last time you were nervous?